Job Number 19169743
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location The Westin Singapore| 12 Marina View| Singapore| Singapore|
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Westin| we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by
providing a refreshing environment| thoughtful amenities| and revitalizing
programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they
arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being|
and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and
soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help
guests be at their best| and they appreciate our supportive attitude|
anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them
throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to
join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If
you’re someone who has is positive| adaptable and intuitive| and has a genuine
interest in the well-being of others around you| we invite you to discover how
at Westin| together we can rise.
Functions as the strategic business leader of the property’s food and
beverage/culinary operation| including Restaurants/Bars| Room Service and
Banquets/Catering| where applicable. Position oversees the development and
implementation of departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the
brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures the food
and beverage/culinary operation meets the brand’s target customer needs|
ensures employee satisfaction| and focuses on growing revenues and maximizing
the financial performance of the department. Develops and implements property-
wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs
and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees and
provides a return on investment.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the food and beverage|
culinary| event management| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management|
Hotel and Restaurant Management| Hospitality| Business Administration| or
related major; 4 years experience in the food and beverage| culinary| event
management| or related professional area.
Skills and Knowledge
• Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes
for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs
assessment| meeting quality standards for services| and evaluation of customer
• Management of Financial Resources – Determining how money will be spent
to get the work done| and accounting for these expenditures.
• Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management
principles involved in strategic planning| resource allocation| human
resources modeling| leadership technique| production methods| and coordination
of people and resources.
• Applied Business Knowledge – Understanding market dynamics| enterprise
level objectives and important aspects of the company’s business to accurately
diagnose strengths and weaknesses| anticipate opportunities and risks|
identify issues| and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and
team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
• Management of Material Resources – Obtaining and seeing to the
appropriate use of equipment| facilities| and materials needed to do certain
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing and Maintaining Food and Beverage/Culinary Goals
• Sets expectations and holds food and beverage leadership team accountable
for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
• Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Food and Beverage
is performing against budget.
• Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of food and beverage equipment and
renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
• Works with food and beverage leadership team to determine areas of concern
and develops strategies to improve the department’s financial performance.
• Establishes challenging| realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation
• Strives to improve service performance.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
• Develops and manages Food and Beverage budget.
• Monitors the department’s actual and projected sales to ensure revenue goals
are met or exceeded and opportunities are identified and addressed.
• Ensures cash control and liquor control policies are in place in food &
beverage areas and followed by all related employees.
• Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or employee
Leading Food and Beverage/Culinary Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Develops means to improve profit| including estimating cost and benefit|
exploring new business opportunities| etc.
• Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging
existing processes| encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
• Ensures that regular| on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and
beverage (e.g.| pre-meal briefings| staff meetings| culinary team).
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with direct
reports and entire food & beverage team. Ensures direct reports do the same
for their team.
• Develops a food and beverage operating strategy that is aligned with the
brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches| mentors| or
otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food and beverage products
to meet or exceed customer expectations| generate increased revenue and ensure
a competitive position in the market.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Reviews findings from comment cards and guest satisfaction results with F& B
team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
• Reviews comment cards| guest satisfaction results and other data to identify
areas of improvement.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent guest service.
• Estimates cost and benefit ratio| maintaining balance between profit and
• Shares plans to take corrective action based on comment cards and guest
satisfaction results with property leadership.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates| including setting
performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Coaches and supports food & beverage leadership team to effectively manage
wages| food & beverage cost and controllable expenses (e.g.| restaurant
supplies| uniforms| etc.).
• Hires food & beverage leadership team members who demonstrate strong
functional expertise| creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the
business needs of the operation.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review
process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Ensures that expectations and objectives are clearly communicated to
subordinates; subordinates are also open to raise questions and/or concerns.
• Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Coaches team by providing specific feedback to improve performance.
• Informs and/or update the executives| the peers and the subordinates on
relevant information in a timely manner.
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and
• Estimate food| liquor| wine| and other beverage consumption in order to
anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
• Order and purchase equipment and supplies.